Wednesday, December 4, 2013

It's just a word


letra-fI hate the”F” word. I really do. When I was younger I use to use it a lot. It was a rebellious thing. I thought it made me sound cool and tough. But now I hear it and it just makes me cringe. I hate it when young people use it. Maybe they are trying to sound grown up, or maybe they just don’t know any better. I hate it more when I hear an adult use it. But I know sometimes it just comes out. I am not saying I never use it. But I can say that I try not to. And I never use it while around people I don’t know.
I hate it most of all when it is use by an adult at a child. It breaks my heart. I know it’s just a word. I am told by many people that it’s nothing more than that. But I still feel bad hearing an adult use it towards a child.
I heard it used this morning. A mother was yelling at her young child, telling her to “Shut the F up” and “F this and F that”. I wanted to cry.
h-MOM-YELLING-AT-DAUGHTER-960x540
I not only find it offensive and vulgar but I find it as a sign of ignorance and disconnect. People use it for various reasons. When a comedian uses it in his act I don’t find it offensive, unless it’s used too much. I don’t find it offensive when someone is telling a story and uses it for effect. But it’s when it’s used in anger or when it’s used in the common place that I find it wrong.
There are other words I don’t like very much. But I think people use them to get their point across when they have no idea how to get their point across. They lack the communication skills to relate to others on an intelligent or human level.
I know it’s just a word. It shouldn’t bother me the way it does. But it still does. Maybe I am getting prudish in my old age. I think it’s very much abuse when a child has to hear it. Words do have just as a negative effect on the young mind as physical abuse. I think it’s even worse when I see the child not react to it. It’s a sign they hear it over and over.
I stubbed my toe the other day and use it in front of my children. I did apologize afterwards. But when my kids hear me use it, they know I am serious. It’s not a word I have played out or used in excess. I guess it goes along with the part of the Bible that talks about leaving childish things behind. If you want to be taken seriously you have to not sound a rebellious teenager.
I know it’s just a word.
Maybe it’s just me.
f-word

No comments:

Post a Comment